I have always been a big fan of Egg Nog but stopped drinking it a couple of seasons ago because my body is not a big fan of dairy! A couple of days ago I stumbled upon a recipe for dairy free eggnog! To my surprise I had all of the ingredients in my house except for coconut milk and let me tell you… it was fine without it! I adapted my recipe fromGluten Free On a Shoestring. I left out the rum and like I mentioned before the coconut milk but it still tasted fabulous! (Just not as thick as regular eggnog)
Here are the ingredients from Nicole’s recipe!
- 6 extra-large egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar – I used coconut sugar
- 1½ cups almond milk (or other dairy-free milk)
- 1 stick whole cinnamon
- 20 ounces (about 1½ cans) coconut milk (full strength – not low fat)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 to 8 tablespoons rum (optional)
1. Combine egg yolks and sugar and whisk together!
2. Heat the milk and stir with cinnamon and leave on heat until its reduced by about one third!
3. Slowly stir in the milk to the egg mixture
4. Return to heat. (This is where you would stir in the coconut milk as well)
5. Remove pan from heat and stir in cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg(and optional rum !) Let cool and serve!